We value your business and Science North is committed to protecting your privacy and your personal information. This policy describes our practices regarding personal and account information collected from you.
This policy ensures our practices involving collection, retention and use of personal information are consistent with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) Part III – Protection of Individual Privacy.
Below, we provide examples of the information we collect and the purposes for which it is used.
Science North does not automatically gather your personal information. You can anonymously access our website. Personal information is only obtained if you supply it voluntarily, i.e. contacting us via email, entering a contest, making a purchase, or registering for programs or events. The amount and type of personal and account information we collect from you depends on your activities and use of our Web site and/or our services. If you choose not to use the Internet to provide personal information, you can contact us by telephone, mail or in person.
We use personal information in a limited number of ways, foremost to complete transactions, provide the selected product or services you have requested, respond to communication from you, contact you, and as otherwise described in this policy.
We may occasionally send you promotional or product information, and we may send you updates on important information about our organization and services.
Science North’s purposes for collecting personal information are:
- a) To establish and maintain responsible relationships with our members, customers, participants, parents, donors, staff and volunteers;
- b) To determine program, service, employment or volunteer eligibility;
- c) To process and collect fees for service;
- d) To collect data for statistical purposes
- e) To acknowledge gifts, issue tax receipts, and other administrative requirements including information requests;
- f) To better understand the changing needs of communities we serve;
- g) To meet legal, regulatory and contractual requirements.
Examples of specific situations include:
- (a) Employment and Volunteers
If you complete an application form for employment or to volunteer at Science North, we will use the personal information you provide to contact you and to perform administrative activities related to the selection process and subsequently your employment or volunteer work.
- (b) E-Store Purchases
When you make a purchase we will ask you to provide only the personally identifiable information necessary to complete the transaction including your name, billing and shipping addresses, telephone number, and credit card number. We also require your e-mail address so you can receive order and shipping confirmation e-mails and so we can communicate with you if there is any follow-up required in processing your order.
- (c) Members
The personal information you provide with respect to your membership is used to process your membership purchase and enables you to receive additional membership communications from Science North.
As a member of Science North, we may on occasion provide you with additional information that may be of interest to you such as: workshops and programs, special exhibits, events, products and services, fundraising projects, philanthropic opportunities or other initiatives.. If you prefer not to have your information exchanged, you may OPT OUT (LINK) as explained below.
- (d) Registrations
If you register yourself or your family members into Science North camps, workshops or programs, we will use your information to access the suitability of the program to your needs and to operate the program. Medical information obtained about children participating in our programs is to aid us in providing them proper care and accommodation.
If you supply us with your contact information, you may hear from us about important information concerning the program or service in which you or your child is registered.
You may also hear from us about other programs and services that may interest and benefit you. We contact you to determine whether you are interested in becoming a member of or purchase products from Science North.
- (e) Contests
If you participate in our contests we will use your information to contact you to advise you when you have won the contest and to determine whether you are interested in becoming a member of or purchase products from Science North.
- (f) E-Newsletters
If you advise us that you wish to subscribe to our e-newsletters, your information will be used to provide you with the e-newsletter and to contact you to determine whether you are interested in becoming a member of or purchasing products from Science North.
- (g) Browsing our Web site
When navigating our Web site we collect your IP address, referral web site, exit web site, browser type, and movements through our web site to measure our web site traffic and to help provide a relevant shopping experience, to help optimize our web site traffic for visitors and to help provide you with a more personalized shopping experience.
We restrict access to your personal and account information to those who need access to use it as set forth in this policy. Only authorized personnel are permitted to see your account password. Science North will not sell or rent your personal information. We may share your information in the following situations:
- To those suppliers or companies hired to deliver our products or services, for example a shipping company that delivers a package.
- In some instances, for example on-line registration for programs and events, visitors may be asked to submit credit card information for payment. Credit card transactions are managed by payment processing companies with whom we have partnered. We will not authorize these companies to use the information except for the express purpose for which it was provided.
- In order to measure how we are doing and to better understand how we can improve our product offerings, we or one of our service providers or strategic partners may contact you by telephone or e-mail and solicit your participation in research.
- We may disclose your personal and account information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, as required by law, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Science North maintains physical, electronic and administrative safeguards that are appropriate to the type of personal information we obtain from you.
Science North staff and volunteers having access to personal data are required to respect the confidentiality of personal information and handle it responsibly.
Science North’s security practices are continually evolving to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of information and systems are maintained. We use up-to-date security safeguards to protect our networks and websites from misuse, alteration, copying, disclosure, destruction, monitoring or unauthorized sharing of information and damage. Our safeguards include the use of security software and encryption protocols and involve physical, technical and procedural controls to protect information.
You may correct some personal and account information maintained in your account through your on line registration account. To correct other information, please contact us.
You may choose to opt out of the option to receive email updates or mailings providing information about Science North’s services and products by contacting Science North as detailed below.
If you have any questions regarding our personal information collection process, please contact the following: