Science North’s Student Science Advisory Council is made up from 15 students from across the City of Greater Sudbury with a passion for science outside of school. The council gives input on exhibit and other science centre experience selection, design, and development and helps to plan student events at the science centre.
USE YOUR VOICE AND SHARE YOUR IDEAS!
Join Science North’s Student Science Advisory Council!
- Ideal for grades 9 to 12.
- Develop your leadership skills.
- Council meetings are once a month after school at Science North.
- This is a paid position.
Recruiting for these positions takes place in August / September of each year. Students interested in applying for these positions are asked to submit a either a letter (one page) or video (under 3 minutes) that includes their grade and school and expresses why they are interested in being a member of the Student Science Advisory Council and how they could contribute to the success of the council.
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023–24 SCHOOL/COUNCIL YEAR IS SEPTEMBER 10, 2023.
Letters and videos (external links to videos are acceptable) are to be sent directly to Grace Schmidt by emailing grace.schmidt [at] sciencenorth.ca
STUDENT SCIENCE ADVISORY COUNCIL TERMS OF REFERENCE
Science North is committed to developing new experiences to grow and retain new audiences, including teenagers. The Science North Student Advisory Council is a science advisory council committed to developing a teenager-friendly environment and experience at Science North, Dynamic Earth.
Our mandate is to work collaboratively with Science North teams to improve science experiences for teenagers and inform development and delivery of programs and exhibits.
- Advise Science North how to engage young people during their free time through programs and events at Science North and Dynamic Earth.
- Give input, feedback and ideas on exhibit selection, design and development.
- Give input on other science experience development (films, object theatres, events, etc).
- Give input on onsite business, grounds, and environment.
- Research and plan teen events (event theme, review and approve marketing tactics and materials, help spread the word through their networks on social media).
- Actively participate in student events, bring friends with them, promote events at school. Post on social media during the event.
- Provide feedback on events, exhibits and experience successes and areas in need for improvement.
- COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP
The Science North Student Council membership consists of 15 members representing a diverse group within this community's youth population whether it is culture, language, abilities, religion, gender, sex, and / or age.
- DUTIES OF MEMBERS
- To attend and fully participate in meetings.
- To be informed on roles, responsibilities and activities of the Student Advisory Council.
- To share information/concerns as appropriate.
- To check email, text messages, and Facebook messages at least once a week and respond.
- To notify the Science North Lead (Staff Scientist) if unable to attend meetings. No member shall be absent for more than three consecutive meetings without reasonable cause. The member shall be deemed to have resigned. If a member chooses to resign, a letter of resignation would be requested to outline the reasons and an exit interview would be scheduled.
- Members are required to arrange their own transportation to and from meetings and events.
At the end of the council term, successful members who have not yet reached the age of 18 will be invited to remain on the council for the following year. Members can either accept or decline. New members will be added based on additional spaces and will be recruited in August and September.
- This is a paid position at Science North.
- Build a teenager-friendly environment and experience at Science North, Dynamic Earth and our attractions and services.
- Increase teenager attendance to the science centres and events.
- Develop teenagers that have ownership of their science centre in their community.
- Provide opportunity to build leadership and communication skills.
TEEN OUTDOOR MOVIE NIGHT
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
Grab your crew of space heroes and join us for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie night under the stars on the Science North lawn! Intergalactic movie snacks and drinks will be available for purchase and your ticket also includes access to the Dinosaur Discoveries special exhibition. Best of all, this event is exclusively for teens!
For the purposes of this event, teens are those entering grades 9–12 in September 2023, or those graduating grade 12 in the 2022–2023 school year.
- July 20, 2023
- 8:00pm to 11:30pm
- Science North
- Science North has lots of opportunities for youth to get involved!
- Whether you're looking for a part-time or summer job or want to complete your high school volunteer hours, Science North is a great place to be!